In the 19th century, the houses at the address Šutna 16 and 17 were owned by Blaž Svetic from Mesto no. 28, at that time one of the wealthiest Kamnik inhabitants, who was involved in inn-keeping and small trading. His son Leopold continued the inn-keeping tradition.
The present-day house at Šutna no. 16 was created out of two houses – nos. 16 and 17. In 1837, Blaž Svetic bought the house at no. 16 from the widow Terezija Volkar, and then in 1842 also the house next door at no. 17 from Matija Kuhar. After Svetic’s death in 1859, both houses were inherited by his widow Marija and after her, in 1887, by her son Leopold. The combined houses, sold in 1902 by Leopold at an auction, were bought by the Kamnik dean Janez Oblak. In 1920, they both transferred into the ownership of the Kamnik Parish Office. After World War Two, the property was nationalised and in the 1990s returned to its rightful owner. In 1938 the whole building was renovated and a memorial plaque to General Maister was unveiled on one of its walls.
Proposals to renovate the building once more appeared even before 1990, when the house was the property of the Municipality of Kamnik and plans for this continued after the house was returned to the Kamnik Parish Office. During 2002 and 2003 the modification of the weight-bearing structure was carried out and the roofing was replaced. In 2004, the facade work was in its final stages and the house once more acquired its 19th century appearance. In 2012, the Kamnik Municipality and Parish Office agreed ownership shares and the Municipality became the owner of a large part of the ground floor. The interior was renovated following instructions from the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia, revealing the wall paintings from the first and second halves of the 19th century. In 2013, Rudolf Maister’s Birthplace was opened, which now presents the life of the famous son of Kamnik. The renovation and creation of the museum setting was carried out and financed by the Municipality of Kamnik. Rudolf Maister’s Birthplace is a separate branch of the Kamnik Intermunicipal Museum.